Guidelines and instructions
You are invited to submit original abstracts in any of the congress’ scientific topics. Please ensure you read the guidelines and instructions below to avoid rejection of your abstracts.
NOTE: Abstracts submitted by email, fax or post will NOT be accepted. The Scientific Committee will not accept responsibility for any abstracts that have not been properly submitted according to the instructions.
Abstracts must contain original scientific data collected by the author(s). All abstracts will be reviewed by the Scientific Committee.
The abstract may be scheduled for presentation on any day from 26-29 November 2020.
- All abstracts must be submitted in English using the online submission form. The text will be divided into 5 sections as below:
- The title of the abstract must be less than 20 words.
- The body of the abstract must be concise with less than 350 words comprehensive of the above mentioned 5 sections.
- There are four types of presentation available – Oral, Poster, Video, and Invited Talk (only available for invited speakers). Please note that selecting oral will not ensure that your abstract is considered for oral presentation. As presentation slots are limited your abstract may be reallocated for poster presentation.
- Videos must include verbal narration. Narration must use generic terms, and no use of commercial/proprietary names is allowed. Videos must not exceed 7 minutes in length.
Careful typing and proofreading are essential, as otherwise the abstract may be amended or rejected.
- Results reported using statements such as “results will be presented” or “data will be analysed” will not be accepted.
- A maximum of 5 abstracts will be accepted per presenting author. Those who have already reached this number can only be listed as co-author.
- There are no limits of authors per abstract.
- Presenters will be notified of their abstract acceptance by June 15, 2020.
- Please note that all abstract presenters are required to register to attend the meeting by the Early Bird deadline, no later than July 10, 2020. If they have not registered by this date their abstract will be withdrawn.
- Further information on your presentation (presentation time for oral presenters, set up details for poster presenters) will be published on the website www.ifso-apc2020.com.
- Text and tables can be pasted and copied into the text fields.
- Abbreviations and SI units should be defined, in parenthesis, in its first use in the abstract.
- A maximum of 2 tables can be submitted using the editor in the submission area or pasted. Please note that inserting tables will reduce your word capacity.
- Please note that these tables may be resized to fit the final printed material.
- No figures will be allowed.
- Videos – Please submit the abstract text and upload the video for review. Maximum size of the video: 250 MB. Acceptable video format is: .mp4. Suggested Codec: H.264.
- Videos should be in a standardized format:
- (1) video title
- (2) clinical presentation and indication for surgery
- (3) preoperative x-ray images/endoscopy/blood results
- (4) operative procedure
- (5) postoperative outcome
- In order to submit your abstract it is compulsory to fill in and sign the “Originality Disclosure Form”. The file can be downloaded, filled in and signed and uploaded during the submission procedure.
Correspondence and instructions for abstract submission
The submitter will be requested to register on the website with a username and password (a confirmation email will follow). The submitter will be entitled to receive all correspondence and notifications related to the submitted abstract(s).
Once registered in the system the submitter can log in his personal area and start the procedure.
Please click on “Create abstract” and start to fill in the text of your abstract. You will be requested to select a topic and a type of presentation. Immediately afterwards please fill the 5 sections of your abstract. Only for video abstract, please upload your file, as described above.
You can continue the procedure listing the full list of Authors with related affiliations and contacts. If the submitter is an Author as well, please click on “Fill with submitter data”.
Do not forget to indicate the presenting Author clicking on the related button.
At the end of the procedure the submitter will receive an email confirming the receipt of the abstract and he can enter his personal area at any time using his username and password to make any changes to Authors, Title, and to re-upload a new text till the abstract submission deadline. After this deadline the abstract cannot be modified anymore.
The personal area of each submitter will display the list of all submitted abstracts with related details.
In case the main author of an accepted abstract doesn’t attend the Congress to present his/her abstracts, without any valid written justification, the Scientific Committee will contact the author to ask for the reason of the absence. If no valid justification is provided, the IFSO Executive Board might consider to suspend the author from participation in the next two IFSO APC Congresses.
Abstract withdrawal/replacement policy
If the First Author cannot attend and present, she/he must submit in writing to a formal:
A) Abstract Withdrawal Request
Withdrawals must be submitted not later than 2 weeks prior to the Congress indicating the reason for withdrawal (Unable to travel, Schedule conflict, Change of employment, Inability to obtain a visa, Other).
Withdrawn abstracts will not be published on Obesity Surgery Abstract Book (online supplement).
B) Request for approval of a co-author listed on the abstract as a substitute presenter
Replacement requests must be submitted at latest 3 days before the beginning of the Congress indicating the reason for replacement.
By submitting your work to the IFSO APC 2020, you consent to have authors’ names, affiliation and biographical material used in connection with the publication of your work.
Submitted abstracts/cases should not have been published in any other journals and/or online publications, nor submitted and waiting for publication, nor presented at any previous international congress.
If the article has been submitted to a journal and is waiting for approval by that journal, the author must inform the organizing secretariat of the Congress and if the article is accepted by the journal before the Congress, the abstract will be cancelled from the scientific program.
A submitter, presenter or co-author submitting or presenting published work will lead to:
- Withdrawal of their presentation from the Press Conference and/or Scientific Session.
- Prohibition of submitting abstracts/cases to any IFSO congress for one year.
Submitted abstracts/cases must report new information not previously published or presented at a national or international scientific meeting prior to the Congress. Note that abstracts/cases previously presented at meetings will not be accepted unless there is a substantial update of data.
Identified duplicates will be retracted from all related IFSO publications.
The content belongs to the author(s). However if the abstract/case is accepted, the submitter agrees, on behalf of all co-authors, to transfer and assign to IFSO the rights to reformat, publish, reproduce, distribute and prepare derivative works such as press releases and/or educational products directly or with partners. This includes use in indexes or search databases in print, electronic, or other media.
Author(s) retain the right, after presentation at the Congress, to subsequently include the work in articles, books, or derivative works that he/she authors or edits, provided said use does not imply the endorsement of IFSO.
The submitter signs for all co-authors. He/she accepts responsibility for the present rules for submission and presentation on behalf of all co-authors.
In order to submit your abstract it is compulsory to fill in and sign the “Originality Disclosure Form”. The file can be downloaded, filled in and signed and uploaded during the submission procedure.
Author(s) also grant and assign to IFSO-APC 2020 the rights to film, record, reproduce, reprint, and otherwise make use of the works, or any presentation of the works, in any media or format, and authorize the IFSO-APC 2020 to use my name, likeness, photograph, and biographical data in connection with its use and promotion of the works in connection with education works related to the Congress.
|SUBMIT YOUR ABSTRACT|